Friday 31 July 2015

How Chocolate has helped my Autistic Daughter to Communicate



I always knew chocolate was magical & good, but I didn't realise HOW magical & good!

It turns out that I make a mean refined sugar and dairy free chocolate. Who knew?! It sounds like it couldn't possibly be tasty, but........ it's better than any commercial brand I've tasted - honestly! And, its biggest selling point?..... in the space of a week, my lovely Little I has mastered standing by the fridge (where the choc stash is kept) & signing chocolate, whilst making a guttural noise, which I can only presume is her attempt at the 'ch' sound. Oh blimey!

The magical powers of chocolate, hey?!

What's more amazing? That my daughter has mastered (& so far retained) a new sign, or the fact that dairy and refined sugar free chocolate is actually tasty?!

I can't take all the credit for the chocolate - I'd like to, but I would be lying if I didn't say it was inspired by Ella Woodward of @DeliciouslyElla. Her recipes are a lifesaver.


So, now I have a new motivational tool, how to use.....?

So diet? I know the medical profession will not support dietary changes to help Autism, and I'm not about to start quoting studies on biomedical stuff (although there are many)...... What I will say, is that 6 months ago, we took Little I off of gluten, dairy & refined sugar (& all artificial crap), & our little girl has flown. Eye contact through the roof, instigates social contact with friends & siblings, lots & lots more vocalisations, an interest in TV (& laughing at funny bits), some co-operation in adult led activities (previously none), less hyper (but still busy!) and VERY, VERY HAPPY. This is our experience, and such has the improvement been, that I felt I needed to share. If another parent (well several actually) hadn't shared their knowledge with me, we wouldn't have known about the diet option & Isla would have missed out on all of this progress.

As the saying goes, "The proof is in the pudding"


6 comments:

  1. I do love stories like this as it does provide (more and more) evidence that exclusion diets can help improve the quality of life of those with autism. And significantly. It's an inspiring read, Claire! Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anna - much appreciated :o) I've been lucky that my GP and dietician have been supportive, even though they couldn't 'support' officially - if that makes sense?! I have encountered one paediatrician who was extremely rude and negative, which is such a shame. However - we keep chipping away to raise awareness xx

      Delete
  2. Good to hear about supportive GP and dietician. Shame about the Paediatrician but like you say, the proof is in the pudding! Looked at the recipe - where do you get the ingredients from - they look difficult to source... online? x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anna - yes, just googled them. Lots of websites selling it. Isla & Charlie like Banana dipped in it too :o)

      Delete
  3. This is fab - will be sharing on my work accounts if that's ok :) (I work for www.sendirect.org.uk)

    ReplyDelete