Saturday 5 September 2015

Jamie Oliver is my hero right now #sugarrush



I don't care what you say. Jamie Oliver is a hero in my house at present...... After watching his Sugar Rush programme on Channel 4 the other night, I took a decision, which so far, has had big ramifications in my house...... When my 8 year old sugar addict daughter got up, I told her I had a programme for her to watch......

It is not an easy watch for an 8 years old, but..... Several emotional outbursts, many tears and several runs out of the room later, my daughter is (at least for now) a changed girl. In defiance she still asked for Cheerios for her breakfast, which I gave her. She then proceeded to sit looking at them for 20 minutes. I then asked if she was going to eat them, and she said "no". She then followed this up with (& you could have blown me over at that point...) "No midnight feast at the sleepover tonight Mummy. I don't mind if my friend does, but no sweets for me". Holy moly. I have been going on and on and on and on about sugar for sooooo long. What I clearly should have been doing was showing her 6 year old kiddies having their teeth pulled out, adults having limbs chopped off and teenagers having to test their blood several times per day. My eldest really can't cope with gore (in fact she couldn't even cope with the flu nasal spray, let alone gore....).

This really motivated me - seize the moment and all that. We had 5 children coming over for dinner that night, so I set myself the task of feeding them a dinner that was entirely refined sugar free. - courtesy (again) of Ella Woodward and Deliciously Ella. I pulled together Hash Browns and Home Made baked beans - but I also added some fried eggs. The beauty of this, was that our Little I could sit at the table and eat exactly the same as everyone else. Little I, having been gluten, diary, sugar and lots of other crap free for over 6 months now. She's my little rock star.

And the verdict? Mixed to be honest!! Ha Ha!! Not a total write off though, with different kiddies liking different bits of the meal. I've since refined the hash browns to my kids' taste and they gobbled them down tonight.

We've sat down as family too, to each chose a meal from Ella's cook book. OK, so my eldest has opted for porridge, but the fact that she even looked at the book is a miracle (I've tried before with epic fail). So, way to go Jamie, a massive step in the right direction for us.

My only worry is that my eldest may realise that there is sugar in wine.......

Love each other x

No comments:

Post a Comment