Sunday 16 August 2015

The good, the bad and the ugly - holidays with our disabled daughter




I've just published  a post about how successful our recent holiday was - and it was. But.... then I started to think of all the things I 'accept' or work around, but which if fixed, would improve our experiences immeasurably...... I don't like to be all doom and gloom, so I've kept it short and balanced it out with 'The Good' :o)

The Good
Queue Jumps
Thank goodness for the queue jumps. I feel the death stare from some 'normal' families - or maybe it's just paranoia.... but, these queue jumps are a godsend! Queueing with Little I would be the most stressful and physically exhausting experience. I'm not saying it is pleasant for any family during these epic queues, but if you don't believe how much harder it is with a side of disability, please borrow my daughter for a day. 
And remember - many disabilities are 'invisible' - so please keep death stares to the minimum and smiles to the max:o)

Chatter
People talk to us. Isla is so charming when she wants to be, and not many people can ignore her smile or her approach for a cuddle. We end up talking to lots of people who we wouldn't have had the opportunity to without Isla. You really meet some amazing people, who really open up to you. On the flip side, you do feel like the centre of attention - what with that and the shrieking and cutlery throwing! Please just smile at us!

The Bad
Menus 
I am staggered by how much unnecessary sugar there is in food. I know I shouldn't be - Jamie Oliver has been talking about it for ages. However, now my daughter does not eat refined sugar, I am staggered to realise how much food has it, from the humble chip to a 'healthy' salad. Geez Louise - give us a break! There is absolutely no bleeding need to put sugar (dextrose) on chips!!!!! And salad dressings..... if you need them to be sweeter - what's wrong with something unrefined like honey?! It's just plain lazy.
Aside from being off of refined sugar, our daughter  Little I, also has to avoid gluten and diary. Now each in isolation is OK (not great, but OK), when you add the two together, you may as well go outside and eat grass -  that's the best offer you'll get. I started having dreams of conjuring some money so I could set up my own restaurant. It's not just the total inconvenience for Little I, but I've realised how unhealthy the food is that I give my other two children when we're out and about, and how conditioned they are to eating it. :o(

The Ugly
Toilets
Little I is mobile, so at least I can attempt to change her standing up - but this often results in an unpleasant shower for me! And.... if there is a movement of the number 2 variety, she needs to be changed lying down and often cleaned head to toe. :o( Now, where should I do that? She's too long for baby change facilities, so I guess I'll use the toilet floor....... How much would you like to lie on the floor of a public toilet?

So here is a shout out to all those local councils, planners, restaurants, pubs, theme parks, play parks etc etc - PLEASE sort out your toilets/changing facilities, and PLEASE give more thought to your menus (for the sake of all of us!!!).

Love each other x

2 comments:

  1. Dear Claire,

    I really enjoyed this piece. I'm currently conducting some research on parents and co-production, with regards to SEN. Do you think I could reach you on a more appropriate line of communication. My email address is sebastian.treasure@optimus-education.com.

    Looking forward to hearing from you.

    Best wishes,

    Sebastian Treasure

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Sebastian. I'll send you an email.

    ReplyDelete