Thursday 17 December 2015

So who has been to a tribunal?


I sadly suspect that this will be every SEN parent at some point in their lives, as we fight for access to services our children need and are entitled to.

Call me cynical but when we were refused higher rate mobility and then refused again at appeal, I couldn't help but think that they do this, just to see how many people won't bother to push it - and thereby save themselves some money - and meet their shrinking budgets...... When I got to the tribunal, the representative for the Department of Work and Pensions opened the proceedings saying that clearly our daughter was entitled to Higher rate mobility based on mental capacity (or rather lack thereof). He apologised for the stress this must have put us under. While I'm grateful that he said all this, I was left speechless that such an apparently 'clear cut' case had ended up at tribunal.

So either the decision makers at DWP are incompetent or there is something more sinister going on....

And what happens to the families who are 'on the edge' of coping or don't have the skills to push their case? These are arguably the most vulnerable and the system is completely and utterly failing them - and their children.

Perhaps the government motto for accessing services and benefits is or rather should be "Make it tricky enough and we'll save some cash"

There is a fine but important line between being thorough in assessing needs and deliberately over-complicating things to put people off....

My favourite is that every 5 years or so, I have to fill in a heap of paperwork confirming my daughter still has Down Syndrome and Autism.......... FFS!!!

Anyway, my top tip should you find yourself going up against a decision? Contact a charity for free legal advice. For us, the Down Syndrome Association were amazing (the guy from the DWP complimented their support work).

Good luck and stay strong x

No comments:

Post a Comment